When we think of HMIs, we often think of the low-maintenance operational benefits, but low-maintenance doesn’t mean you should neglect cleaning the touch screen and keyboard on a regular basis. In today’s COVID-19 climate, making sure surfaces are clean and sanitized is paramount to reduce the spread of the virus.
Since an HMI is meant to be touched, it is important to keep it clean and your personnel protected. However, it’s not as simple as just cleaning the HMI. You need to be careful about the cleaning solutions used and the processes taken in order to assure no irreparable damage is caused.
Siemens has outlined a recommended cleaning process for the SIMATIC HMI Panel. It is easy and only requires a few steps to achieve the desired clean HMI.
Materials Needed to Clean your HMI:
- A damp cleaning cloth
- A dry cleaning cloth
- Dish washing liquid or a foaming screen cleaning agent
- Husky 806 Neutral Disinfectant
- Clorox Anywhere
* “Please note the cleaning agent’s ingredients and ratios found in the recommended cleaners. It is recommended to use concentrations of less than 5% Sodium Hypochlorite.” – SIemens
Follow the steps below:
- Turn off the HMI or lock the screen – this ensures you do not cause any incorrect operator inputs.
- Spray the cleaning solution onto a damp cloth, do not spray directly onto the HMI.
- Wipe entire screen using a ‘Z’ motion with the damp cloth to ensure contact to the entire touch panel surface.
- Use the dry cloth to dry the panel and remove residual cleaner residue and moisture
Click here to view the SIMATIC HMI Panels: Screen Cleaning and Care Flyer from Siemens
SE Automation, a Standard Electric Supply Co., in business since 2004, is committed to offering you, the customer, the quality services and products which you require to successfully run your business.